The Marist Brothers of the Schools is an Institute of Consecrated Life founded in 1817 by St. Marcellin Champagnat (1789-1840) in France. Marcellin was ordained a Catholic Priest in 1816. Soon after his ordination, he embarked on realization of his dreams as a seminarian which included; organizing a group of Brothers to catechize and teach the poor as well as dispirited youth. On January 2, 1817, the Institute called Marist Brothers was found with just two candidates recruited. These disciples were initially called the Little Brothers of Mary, borne out of Marcellin’s love and devotion to the Mother of Christ Jesus whom he fondly referred to as “Our Good Mother.”
The formation of the "Little Brothers of Mary” equally had its inspiration from Marcellin’s early experiences as Priest when he administered the last rites to a dying teenage boy, whom he discovered had never heard about God and his Love.
At the time of Marcellin’s death in 1840, the Institute had grown remarkably with the Marist Brothers in France running 40 Primary Schools for destitute children. Marcellin’s Champagnat was canonized a Saint in April 1999 by Pope John Paul II... Read More